29 August 2007

"We live raw!"

Indy film making is a bitch. A sexy one with a whole lotta money in the bank but a bitch nonetheles. In the past couple of days since I started capturing the footage for The Jack Mackey Project (20-mickyficken-4 days and counting) I've gotten a couple of hours of sleep and shit has been catching up with me and I'm in a pickle of sorts. Having already poured all my personal resources into the project and in debt, yesterday I woke up to find myself booted. My fault, totally and my responsibility to fix so, while I should be capturing footage with Kofi right now, I'll be instead going to get a cab and be driving throughout the weekend at least, to get the car out of the auto pound.

I don't mind the work or the grind, it's the fact that I should be grinding on the movie itself that pisses me off at myself. Between the car getting booted and me putting so much time into the movie instead of driving the cab and bills steadily mounting up as a result, you can imagine I'm not the most popular person in my household or even my extended family right now. Shit I was supposed to be moving out of my house this weekend because of an amicable breakup with my daughter's mother. My last minute reprieve has not been helped by the financial bottomless pit I must seem to be becoming. But you know what?

Fuck it.

We're gonna get this project done, it's gonna be the shit, and we'll get something out of it. It's clear as day to me. Everyone who is sacrificing with us by choice or involuntarily by being in our proximity will reap the benefits of this success. Kof was on the phone with Agile last night and said something that's the key to what this whole project- the movie itself and our endeavor is about: "You gotta get creative as fuck when you don't have that bread."

That's what this whole thing is about. The idea to put somebody on the spot and force them to live and die by their imaginations. We put Agile on the spot and he stepped the fuck up. He didn't only record an album in 24 hours, he made what I consider to be an instant hip hop classic. So now the balls in our court and we ain't gonna drop it, no matter what. This is is what life is about, living and dying by your heart, your mind, and your wits, and your balls.

This is living and I'm having a muthafuckin' ball.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't let anything stop you. There will be times when you'll be disappointed, but you can't stop. Sadie T.M. Alexander, 1898-1989 Lawyer and Activist
(Your Girl Deep) Dunn*